The easy way to avoid GMOs is to buy either organic or Non-GMO Project Verified products.
USDA organic foods must be at least 95% organic to bear this label — the other 5% must be approved ingredients and non-GMO. 100% certified organic products will have extra labels or writing on them as well.
It’s especially important to buy organic corn, cotton, canola, soy, alfalfa, sugar beets, Hawaiian papaya, zucchini, and yellow squash because these can be GMOs. So if you want to buy regular apples or oranges, you can.
The Non-GMO Project is a non-profit organization that offers North America’s only third party verification and labeling for non-GMO food and products. It works at every level of the supply chain, all the way back to the seeds.
You can get them at local Co-ops, health stores like Whole Foods and Trader Joe’s and also some of the larger grocery stores. Probably the easiest way to start would be check the stores you already shop in, and ask where they stock the Non-GMO Project verified items. If they don’t, request that they do, then call around to all the stores near you to find them without driving all around town. Online food clubs sell them as well, like Green PolkaDot Box.
Meat, eggs and dairy
Most livestock are fed GMO alfalfa, corn, and soy, so it is best to choose organic or Non-GMO Project Verified meat, eggs and dairy.
Your favorite brands
If you have a product that you really want to keep having, then it’s best to call the manufacturer to see if it has GMOs in it. This is a great thing to do anyway, because it lets them know you’re concerned.
What’s the next step?
Please help protect the health of others and the environment by creating awareness. Thanks!